Sunday, June 14, 2009

Waffles for breakfast

Today, instead of complaining that I can't go to Whole Foods with only $12, because it would cost more in gas than I have to spend there and it would take an extra three hours out of my day and blah blah blah, I'm going to see what interesting creations I can come up with with the food I have here (which, to be fair, is considerable--it's just not all neatly packaged in convenient, ready-to-eat portions. I have to cook it.)

Some options:
black bean and sweet potato tortilla casserole. I have no enchilada sauce, so I could just use nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce and a little Sriracha and be done with it, or I could figure something out with the can of diced tomatoes that has been sitting in my pantry for some time.

homemade gnocchi: There's a recipe around here somewhere for gnocchi that you can make with potato flakes. They're not bad.

brown rice: Steve Pavlina has some good cooking instructions on his website. He reminds us that we can just mix in some sesame seeds and tamari. Oh, yeah :)

baked tofu: very easy. Just mix up some tamari, balsamic vinegar, garlic, ginger, and a bit of olive oil. baste slices and bake for 45 minutes at...I forget what temperature. Probably doesn't matter. But it's good alone or in a salad. Or with the aforementioned brown rice.

white bean alfredo sauce and pasta: never made this before.

seitan: Should probably make this while I have enough tamari to do so. But which kind: oven baked, boiled, crock potted, or Veggieroni???

noodle salad: really and truly should have green onions for this. Should I bother without them?

pizza: I have a whole can of sauce. I have yeast. I could make a real pizza crust, or just cheat and use the English muffins from the freezer.

Okay, so there will be cooking today. Before I can do that, though, there must be dishes washed so I can find the kitchen. And the dish fairy has the day off. So I guess that's up to me now. Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment